Local Vendor Spotlight: Hat Creek Provisions
1. How long have you been producing pickled fare and what made you decide to do so?
Hat Creek Provisions began in 2013 with three friends (Tim, Adam and Drew) dreaming of a better way to pickle. Drew, the principal of Hat Creek Burger Company, and Tim & Adam from Strange Land Brewery (a craft brewery in Austin) merged a commitment to quality ingredients, the artisanal approach of craft beer brewing, and age-old pickling techniques to produce a wide array of local, organic, and seasonal fermented veggies. We've recently added Martha Pincoffs of Hot Dang grain burgers to the team in order to help keep us all in line!
2. How long have you been a vendor for Wheatsville food co-op?
Wheatsville was actually our first major retail account! We made our first deliveries to both the SoLa and Guad stores in Spring 2014.
3. What are some of your favorite departments at the co-op and why?
Beer and refrigerated pantry, naturally, and we love to check out bulk spices for new product inspiration. The coffee department keeps us fueled and we're suckers for the rice & beans (with spicy kraut on top) from the deli counter and the Ruben is out of this world!
4. Does Hat Creek Provisions have anything new in the works?
We are in the process of perfecting our vegan kimchi and giardiniera. We're also working through the R&D on a host of new offerings.
5. Do you have a favorite recipe you would like to share with our patrons?
Mix 3 parts tomato juice with 1 part Spicy Cucumber brine add a splash of Yellowbird and your favorite beer or some vodka. Garnish with HCP fermented cukes, okra, and carrots!