Can you use a crock pot to “BBQ” Brisket?
As a matter of fact you can and you should! Set it up before leaving the house in the morning and when you get home, it's a short time to BBQ Brisket. It might not be BBQ in the purest sense, but it is certainly easy.
4-5 lb brisket, shoot for about a 1/4 inch thick of fat cover and lightly score the fat side
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbls chipotle chilis in adodbo sauce, minced
- 1 tbls ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
Combine the rub ingredients and rub it all over your brisket. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
The other stuff:
- 3 tbls vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tbls tomato paste
- 1 tbls chili powder
- 1 tbls chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbls cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke-I make this recipe with out this, so I feel like it's optional
You will also need a metal loaf pan that fits inside your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion until softened-about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook until it starts to brown-about a minute.
- Mix in the chipotle, chili powder and garlic and cook just until fragrant. Put this mixture in the center of the crock and cover it with the upside down loaf pan.
- Add the water and put the brisket on the loaf pan-fat side up. Cook on high for 7-8 hours or on low for 10-12.
- Remove brisket and cover with foil to rest for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the loaf pan. The juices will accumulate under the pan and spill out when you break the seal—sweet, sweet sciencey stuff.
- Pour the contents of the crock into a bowl and skim fat if you want (i usually do not skim the fat). There should be about 2 cups left. If not, add water.
- Pour 1 cup over the brisket after slicing. Whisk ketchup, vinegar and liquid smoke in the remaining juices for your BBQ sauce. Enjoy.