Austin Simply Fit Resolution Challenge Week 8
- Goal this Week: Determine what my next steps are regarding my fitness. I am almost done with my challenge and I want to have a plan so that I can stay focused and moving forward.Progress: Getting stronger and really working hard in my sessions.
- Hardest Thing to do This Week: Dumbbell deadlifts in group sessions were hard BUT Bonnie, my trainer, helped me with my form right after that!
- Favorite Food: Dried papaya, from our bulk section, and either Krave Beef Jerky OR sprouted almonds.
- Favorite Exercise: SLAMS! not.
- Craving: Building muscle and tone. When I started Bonnie and I took my measurements, this week we are measuring again to see my progress. Wish me luck!
- Favorite Meal this Week: This Sunday I made lunches for the entire week. I found some recipes on Pinterest (I know! I am a dork!) that inspired me. This features a lean protein, veggies and whole grains, which is not only yummy but super good for me!
Grilled Taco & Lime Chicken with Roasted Veggies & Grains
Adapted from the blog picky-palate.com
For the Chicken
taco seasoning: TIP: Make a large batch of your own taco seasoning and save in a mason jar with a tight lid.
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp granulated garlic
4 medium boneless chicken breasts
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups cooked brown rice
12 cups roasted veggies, any combination:
asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, brussels sprouts
Preparation for the chicken
• Preheat indoor or outdoor grill. TIP: I use a grill but you can use a skillet.
• Place spices in a bowl and mix well.
• Place chicken breast in a large bowl or plastic bag – add spices and squeeze one lime into bag. Mix well.
• Marinate at least 1 hour or overnight
• Grill for 5-6 minutes each side or until cooked through.
• Squeeze with remaining lime. Cool and cut into cubes.
Preparation for grains and veggies
• Cook quinoa using 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water, use a rice cooker or cook on stove top, use package instructions.
• Cook rice using 1 cup rice and 2 cups water, use a rice cooker or cook on stove top, use package instructions. TIP: Cook more than you need and freeze the extra for lunches next week.
• For roasted veggies, cut into bite size pieces and lay on large, lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, sea salt. Bake at 350 degrees until tender. TIP: Choose veggies with similar cooking times.
Preparation for Bowls
• Use a good container, with a tight lid, to make your lunches in
• Place in bowl:
¼ cup brown rice
¼ cup quinoa
Top with a total of 1½ cups of cooked veggies.
½ cup cooked chicken
• Pick your favorite dressing to pair with these. I love the Deli’s Cashew Tamari or the Lime Cilantro dressing.