Be warned! Do not take this lightly! For all ye who enter many never return. You might spend 6, 13, even 25 years at Wheatsville – a lot of us have. We’re independent, locally owned and have been in business since 1976. We specialize in local, organic, natural food and cater to a wide variety of diets and lifestyles including vegans, gluten-free and raw foodies.
We believe we are the heart of our community and when you realize you can be an integral part of making your neighbors happy and healthy – why would you work anywhere else? So before you go any further, remember – we warned you.
As the only grocery co-op in Texas we don’t think like any other grocery. Our main goal is to make people happy which means we hire people that are:
- Customer service superstars
- Willing to learn every aspect of the natural food business
- Able to take personal responsibility for their work
- Interested in having fun while working hard
Here are some answers to some frequently asked questions about our hiring process:
Where can I find out what positions Wheatsville is hiring for?
We post all open positions in the job binder at our Hospitality Desk and on our website. We may post openings on other websites as well, such as Craigslist.
What if no positions are open now? Can I still apply?
We do accept applications even when we are not currently hiring for a position.
How long do you keep my application? Can I apply again?
Your application will be active for 30 days. You are welcome to submit another application at any time. If you are interested in a open position and it has been more than 30 days since you applied, please submit a new application.
What happens after I apply?
There are three steps to the selection process. First, our Human Resources Department reviews applications. When there are open positions, selected candidates will have a brief phone interview with the Recruiting Coordinator. Then you may be invited to interview at the store with the hiring manager and others as necessary. Finally, the hiring manager selects the right person to join Wheatsville's team!
Can I talk to the hiring manager for the position?
Out of respect for the workload our managers carry to serve our owners and community, we allow only those who are selected for an interview to speak with the hiring manager about our open positions.
Who can I speak with if I have additional questions?
Please ask to Email our Recruiting Coordinator Jennie Andropoulos
What is Wheatsville Food Co-op?
The staff of Wheatsville Food Co-op work to serve the store's customers, many of whom are owners as well. Wheatsville is a consumers' co-operative, an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly-owned and democratically-controlled enterprise.
The purpose of Wheatsville Food Co-op is to create a self-reliant, self-empowering community of people that will grow and promote a transformation of society toward cooperation, justice, and non-exploitation.
The mission of Wheatsville Food Co-op is to serve a broad range of people by providing them goods and services, using efficient methods that avoid manipulation of the consumers, and minimize exploitation of the producers or damage to the environment. The primary focus for this mission is supplying high-quality food and non-doctrinaire information about food to people in Austin, Texas.
Benefits at Wheatsville include:
- 15% discount on purchases
- Paid breaks
- Holiday pay
- Sick and vacation pay (if you work 20+ hrs/week)
- Health, dental, vision & short-term disability insurance (if you work 30+ hrs/wk)
- 401(K) Retirement Plan
- Bike to Work Program
- Employee Assistance Program
The Following are Expected of All Staff at Wheatsville:
- Knows and adheres to Wheatsville’s expectations for external and internal customer service as outlined in Employee Handbook.
- Offer product samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Recognize and act on opportunities to make a customer’s day or to make it right for customers with complaints.
- Communicates openly and honestly with all others in the organization.
- You must have a working phone that receives calls and/or text without delay
- Communicates respectfully at all times.
- Does not expose customers to internal disagreements.
- Resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner, asks for assistance from appropriate supervisor as needed.
- Communicates needs promptly and efficiently.
- Participates actively in department team and all-staff meetings.
- Stays informed by reading all communications from the General Manager, managers, HR, and in department log books
- Knows and promotes the cooperative principles and values.
- Understands Wheatsville Food Co-op’s Mission.
- Knows Wheatsville Food Co-op and Co-op history.
- Gains and shares natural foods knowledge, continually accesses new information.
- Reports for scheduled shifts, on-time and ready to work.
- Understands and adheres to organizational and department policy and procedures.
- Accepts and offers feedback and suggestions openly and respectfully.
- Accepts direction willingly and follows through with delegated tasks.
- Learns and adapts to new tasks or situations quickly and cooperatively.
- Maintains job-related confidentiality.
- Takes initiative to identify, report and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Operates with a sense of teamwork; incorporates into daily job.
- Provides a positive model for co-workers.
Quality of Work:
- Understands technical requirements of job, applies technical knowledge consistently.
- Performs tasks accurately and efficiently, free from errors.
- Performs all tasks according to department procedure.
Quantity of Work:
- Performs tasks consistently at an acceptable rate as outlined by department supervisor.
- Organizes tasks efficiently, maintains focus and stays productive.
- Achieves established goals and expected results for the department.
- Maintains safe work environment according to all department procedures, federal and state regulations.
- Obtains and maintains any necessary licenses.
- Wears protective clothing as required for position.